COVID Pandemic Adds Urgency to Flu Study
“This pandemic has opened some eyes to respiratory viral illness and has led to some re-education about influenza. Many experts of late are stressing a greater need than ever for people of all ages to get a flu vaccine,” says Ed Davidson, PharmD, MPH, partner at Insight Therapeutics and lead investigator on a nursing home influenza study now in its second year. AMDA members are being asked once again to participate in this study. Read more.
- CMS Announces More Regulatory Waivers; Increases In Audio-Only Payments
- Society Supports the ACCESS ACT
- Nursing Home Five-Star Quality Rating System Updates, Nursing Home Staff Counts, and Frequently Asked Questions Now Available From CMS
- CMS Adds New COVID-19 Clinical Trials Improvement Activity to the Quality Payment Program
- CMS Announces Independent Commission to Address Safety and Quality in Nursing Homes
New This Week
POLST, ACP and COVID-19 Subjects of May 13 Webinar: Join us for a webinar, POLST, ACP and COVID-19: What Long-Term Care Facilities Should Be Doing and How, on May 13 from 7:00 to 8:00 PM. Featuring speakers Amy Vandenbroucke, JD, and Karl Steinberg, MD, CMD, the webinar will cover what POLST is, where it fits within the advance care planning (ACP) spectrum, and how to use POLST in long-term care facilities during the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as identify resources that are available to help. Like all webinars, it is free to members. Register now.
AMDA, ASCP Team Up to Create COVID-19 “Heat Map”: AMDA has teamed up with ASCP, a membership association that represents pharmacists and health care professionals serving the unique medication needs of older adults, on a visual representation of the prevalence of COVID-19 within nursing homes and assisted living communities in the United States. Using publicly available information released by states, as well as information sourced by members of both organizations, a general “heat map” has been created to display the presence of COVID-19 in post-acute and long-term care at a zip code level. In the coming weeks, when the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) makes public data from nursing homes and assisted living communities, the heat maps will be updated from this single source of data. You can contribute data here (member login required).
- Time to Give: May 5 is #GivingTuesdayNow, a global day of giving and unity as an emergency response to the unprecedented need caused by COVID-19. AMDA continues to lead the way by providing the most reliable and up-to-date COVID-19 information and resources to help the nursing homes and assisted living facilities housing our most vulnerable patient populations. All funds raised on #GivingTuesdayNow will support these important efforts. Please donate now!
- A Much-Deserved Tribute: If you’ve looked at our COVID-19 resource page or the daily emails in the past week, you’ve probably seen this much-deserved tribute: Thank you to our COVID-19 Expert Team: Ghinwa Dumyati, MD; Swati Gaur, MD, MPH, CMD; Robin Jump, MD, PhD; and David Nace, MD, MPH, CMD. Your exceptional work is an invaluable resource to your peers during this unprecedented crisis. On behalf of the AMDA staff and your fellow members, we applaud your tireless efforts, dedication, and leadership. You make us all proud.
- Take the Core Curriculum Online: The Society’s Core Curriculum on Medical Direction in Post-Acute and Long-Term Care offers comprehensive instruction on management and leadership within the PALTC setting—as well as CME, ABIM MOC, and CMD management credits. There is still time to register for the first part of the program, the Online Spring Session. And due to the ongoing situation with COVID-19 the second part of the program—the Summer Synthesis—will be held online July 31-August 2; the early bird savings of $200 is available till May 6. Register for both parts of the course now and complete the program by early August. Learn more and register now.
- New Career Center: AMDA has launched a new Career Center offering many options for publicizing your openings, starting at just $250 for a 30-day ad. In addition to the robust Employer section for those looking to fill jobs, there is a separate Job Seeker section for those trying to find a new position. Start exploring the site now. Please note that your Career Center account is separate from your AMDA account. You will need to set up a unique username and password to post jobs and resumes and take advantage of the other exciting features.
- Submit Your COVID-19 Stories: Caring for the Ages invites you to share your stories on the ongoing COVID-19 crisis through the new open-access online collection, We Are PALTC: COVID Lessons and Reflections. Submitted stories should be 500 words or less and can include personal reflections, opinions, and lessons, both positive and negative. References are optional, and supporting images are welcome. All submissions will be considered for publication and, if accepted, published promptly on the Caring for the Ages website. Submit your story here.
- Purchase Your Conference Recordings: Did you miss the virtual Annual Conference? You can still earn CME if you purchase the conference recordings. Take a look at the full schedule, which featured lots of great COVID-19 content and much more, and then place your order.
In The News
From Sun Sentinel: As coronavirus death count rises, Florida nursing homes still face testing challenges
From McKnight’s Senior Living: New COVID-19 ‘heat map’ will arm providers in fight for PPE and testing, AMDA says
From McKnight’s Long-Term News: Provider groups develop heat map to aid coronavirus response; FEMA to deliver PPE
From MedPAge Today: Nursing Homes Struggling to Get a Handle on COVID-19
From Caring for the Ages: The Evolution and Devolution of Hospital Care
From JAMDA: Long-Term Care Facilities and the Coronavirus Epidemic: Practical Guidelines for a Population at Highest Risk